The Representation of the One Supreme Reality in Sikhism is ੴ, Ek Ongkar.

Forums Sikh Philosophy and Teachings The Representation of the One Supreme Reality in Sikhism is ੴ, Ek Ongkar.

Participant
    none
    Thank you Ji for your interest in the symbol ੴ, which is also known as Ik Onkar or Ek Onkar.

This Beautiful symbol is a representation of the one supreme reality in Sikhism, and is the first word of the Mul Mantar, the opening phrase of the Guru Granth Sahib.

Here are some points to help you understand the meaning and significance of this symbol:

1. The definition and meaning of the symbol ੴ is that God is one and only one, who cannot be compared or contrasted with any other. The symbol is made up of two characters, the Punjabi character for the number ‘one’ and the Punjabi letter ‘Urha’ for ‘Onkar’ meaning ‘God’. The symbol signifies the unity of God in Sikhism, and is found on all religious scriptures and places such as Gurdwaras¹.

2. The pronunciation of the symbol ੴ is [ɪkː oːəŋkaːɾᵊ], which can be transliterated as Ik Oankaar or Ek Oankaar. The sound of the symbol is considered to be sacred and powerful, and is often chanted or sung by Sikhs as a way of meditating on the name of God¹.

3. The attributes and qualities of the symbol ੴ are that it represents the essence of Sikhism, which is the belief in one God who is the creator, sustainer, and destroyer of everything. The symbol also reflects the concept of Shabad, which is the divine word or sound that pervades the entire creation. The symbol is a reminder of the omnipresence, omniscience, and omnipotence of God, and the need to surrender to his will².

4. The comparative study of the symbol ੴ with Allah, God, and Paramatma is that they are all different names for the same supreme reality, but with different connotations and interpretations. The symbol ੴ is unique in that it does not imply any gender, form, or shape for God, but rather emphasizes his oneness and transcendence. The symbol ੴ also implies that God is immanent and manifest in his creation, and can be experienced through his grace¹³.

5. The harmony of the symbol ੴ with Akalpurakh, Waheguru, and Kartapurakh is that they are all different aspects or names of the same one God, but with different meanings and functions. Akalpurakh means the timeless being, Waheguru means the wonderful lord, and Kartapurakh means the creator being. These names are used by Sikhs to praise and worship God, and to express their gratitude and devotion to him¹³.

I hope this helps you to appreciate the symbol ੴ and its significance in Sikhism. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask me. 😊.

Sincerely,

💝

Pal Ji, PhD(c), UniversityOfSikhism.Com

*Please Click Here If You’re Ready To Learn More To Improve Your Life And Finally Be Successful Now:*

https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=6588569450&text=Hello%20Ji.%20I’m%20Ready%20To%20Learn%20More%20To%20Improve%20My%20Life%20And%20Finally%20Be%20Successful%20Now.%20Please%20Advise%20Me%20On%20The%20Next%20Steps%20Ji%20About%20 💖 Click & Send

Feel Forward to Share with All now and be Blessed 😇

We look forward to hearing from you!

Inspired by a GSC Information Group post by one of the group members:

🌹Let us give some independent thought to the symbol ੴ , our generally called ਮੰਗਲਾਚਰਨ :

1. ੴ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ਦੀ ਪਰਿਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਅਤੇ ਅਰਥ।

2. ੴ ਦਾ ਪਰਚਲਤ ਉਚਾਰਣ।

3. ੴ ਦੇ ਗੁਣ ਅਤੇ ਸੁਭਾਅ।

4. ੴ ਦਾ ਅੱਲਾ, ਗੌਡ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਤੁਲਨਾਤਮਕ ਅਧਿਐਨ।

5. ੴ ਦਾ ਅਕਾਲਪੁਰਖ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ, ਕਰਤਾਪੁਰਖੁ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ ਸੁਮੇਲ।

💥🙏💥

• 🌹
    I'm Sorry Ji for any Mistakes above 😢 Please Forgive Me for my Shortcomings. 🤗 Thank You Ji for Reading my Humble Contributions Again. 💝 I Love You to Continue Blessing Me Daily with Your Continued Support Ji. 😁   Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa 🙏   ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ 🤗😇💝🌹💝😇🤗 ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ Waheguru Ji Ki Fate h🙏   *Please Click Here If You're Ready To Learn More To Improve Your Life And Finally Be Successful Now:*   https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=6588569450&text=Hello%20Ji.%20I'm%20Ready%20To%20Learn%20More%20To%20Improve%20My%20Life%20And%20Finally%20Be%20Successful%20Now.%20Please%20Advise%20Me%20On%20The%20Next%20Steps%20Ji%20About%20BillionDollarsCompaniesLikeTopLawerAi 💖 Click & Send   Feel Forward to Share with All now and be Blessed 😇   We look forward to hearing from you!   . 💓
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Replies
    Karnail Singh
    Participant
    IN
    Respected Pal Ji, thanks for elaborating meaning and significance of this symbol. I suggest following  changes :

1. As given in the logo of Global Sikh Council, we can see that oorha is open with extending line. Let us all of us try to follow a uniform  pattern. This is a unique Symbol given by or Guru Saheb.

2. Secondly, we should follow  the pronunciation as given in Guru Granth Saheb. Following Gurbani  lines will make it clear about pronunciation –

( srigranth.org  222 )
    ਗਉੜੀ ਗੁਆਰੇਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥

ਮਨੁ ਭੂਲੋ  ਬਹੁ ਚਿਤੈ ਵਿਕਾਰੁ ॥
    ਮਨੁ ਭੂਲੋ  ਸਿਰਿ ਆਵੈ ਭਾਰੁ ॥
    ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ  ਹਰਿ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥੨॥<!–/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_231123_090840_530.sdocx–>

<hr />

( srigranth.org  228)

ਭੋਜਨੁ  ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਸਾਰੁ ॥
    ਪਰਮ ਹੰਸੁ  ਸਚੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਅਪਾਰ ॥
    ਜਹ ਦੇਖਉ  ਤਹ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥੫॥<!–/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_231123_091206_079.sdocx–>

<hr />

srigranth.org 285 )
    ਨਾਨਾ ਰੂਪ  ਨਾਨਾ ਜਾ ਕੇ ਰੰਗ ॥
    ਨਾਨਾ ਭੇਖ ਕਰਹਿ  ਇਕ ਰੰਗ ॥
    ਨਾਨਾ ਬਿਧਿ  ਕੀਨੋ ਬਿਸਥਾਰੁ ॥
    ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਅਬਿਨਾਸੀ  ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ॥<!–/data/user/0/com.samsung.android.app.notes/files/clipdata/clipdata_bodytext_231123_091614_286.sdocx–>

In my view we must follow one pattern for writing as well as pronunciation as given to us by our great Guru Saheb.

Regards,

Karnail Singh

• Karnail Singh
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.